Monday, January 19, 2015

The Nursery - Part Three: Furnished

I have to admit, I'm working like I'm on a strict deadline with the nursery. The deadline isn't exactly imminent (still have 8-9 weeks to go!)  and there's not that much left to do. But if I'm not accomplishing at least one thing on my to-do list each weekend, I get that antsy, not doing enough feeling. I can't help it. Fortunately, as far as the furniture is concerned, that has been almost complete since Christmas. My gifts this year were all from IKEA: the Gulliver crib and changing table set and a Billy bookcase. Eric, being a helpful husband, put the furniture together the day after Christmas. I'm pretty sure his main motive wasn't being a helper; I think it was really just because he has a penchant for assembling things.

Once the crib was assembled and evenly lined up on the wall, it was time for the pièce de résistance:
Isn't it adorable?
Putting the decal up was more work than I anticipated. The main pieces, the pandas and the branch, were easy. Each of those tiny flowers and the butterflies? Individually placed by yours truly and maybe possibly Eric. If I recall correctly, he came in while I was placing the first ones, put two up and promptly got bored with the tedious nature of the task then left to continue assembling his Sandcrawler LEGO set together.

Two weeks and a semi-quick trip to IKEA this past weekend, furnishing the room is complete. I went back and forth with myself about the rocking chair for the last two weeks. After first I thought that a birch frame with a red cushion would look pretty in the room, but checking the stock at the local IKEA made that idea impossible: no birch frames! The black-brown (more black than brown, really) frame was in stock so I ended up getting that one. I was still undecided about the red cushion, but Eric talked me out of it and I'm glad he did. He thought that the red cushion would look out of place and not match anything else in the room; he was right then and is definitely right now.

I like how the black-brown frame picks up the color of branch and the pandas, which ties the room together a little bit better than a red cushion would have. I still want to have a red accent in here somewhere because it wouldn't fit the theme (our wedding) if there wasn't. My current thoughts are either to sew another accent pillow in red, or make the tie-backs for the curtains red. Those are both such small accents that they could fit more seamlessly into the overall design.

Last but not least, you may notice that there are shades in the window. And a single curtain panel! I picked up the blinds at Lowe's the weekend before last; they're the fancy Levolor brand with no strings because strings in a nursery are bad. They cost me a pretty penny but they're worth it. Besides, I'm in the midst of sewing my own curtains (hence the single panel right now) and the smaller cost of that will offset the blinds.

The Nursery - Part Two: Prep Work and Painting
The Nursery - Part One: Design and Planning