Regardless, part one is complete. Work began on Black Friday and wrapped up this past Sunday, with everyone including my brother, my parents and Eric pitching in to get it done so quickly. The ceiling and closet walls got a fresh coat of ultra flat white, while the main walls are now bunny gray. I chose the bunny gray because I knew it would pair well with the leftover mountain peak white from the trim downstairs.
For the trim, I took one look at the mismatched baseboard on the long wall and knew that it had to come off. It's really not that hard to find a 16' piece of baseboard trim, so why a piece that was a quarter inch shorter needed to be poorly rigged to the preexisting taller piece is beyond me. I'm going to guess it was laziness or idiocy. Probably both.
I didn't feel like taking all the casing down this time, so I enlisted Nate to use liquid sandpaper/deglosser on it. It didn't seem to work as well as I'd hoped but I'll definitely try it again (in another room) myself when I'm not so full of baby.
As for what's left with basic room prep, there are only a couple of things. I have to figure out what to do about the main door; it's now a different shade of white than the trim surrounding it and it looks terrible. I also have to figure out how to handle the closet doors, but they're semi-functional (when installed) for now so I'm leaving it on the to-do list.
Part One: Design and Planning